In 1755 two forts were built by the British to protect each end of the Oneida Carrying Place, a strategic land portage located between the Mohawk River and Wood Creek. Fort Bull (Wood Creek Fort) named after its commander Lt. William Bull was located on the western side of the portage and also served as a supply depot for the British garrison at Oswego. Recognizing the strategic importance of the Oneida Carry and the need to disrupt this critical British supply line between Albany and Oswego the French sent Lt. Gaspard-Joseph Chaussegros de Léry with a force of more than 360 to attack the Oneida Carry. After marching across northern NY for two weeks, de Léry would arrive along the carry road on March 27, 1756, where he ambushed a supply convoy and initiated his attack on Fort Bull. As a result, more than 60 British were either killed or captured, the fort was destroyed and its stores were blown up or dumped into Wood Creek. Within a month of its destruction, the British recognized the need to build a more substantial fortification to replace Fort Bull and began constructing Fort Wood Creek. Today, it is the earthworks of Fort Wood Creek that still remain along with a large boulder monument that was placed on the site in 1907 in recognition of the Battle of Fort Bull.
Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places in 2019 Fort Bull-Fort Wood Creek continues to remain subject to looting and exploitation.
The Rome Historical Society is the sole owner of the Fort Bull - Fort Wood Creek property and is the only authority authorized to provide access to this pristine historic site.